Chili has long been a comfort food, especially on a cold day. Warm up with Jennifer Bain's Chili recipe, including Bison!
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp liquid beef bouillon concentrate
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh diced tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes with liquid
More from Jennifer Bain
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook the bison, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up large pieces, for 5 minutes. Add the yellow onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, combine the warm water, tomato paste, and a beef bouillon concentrate. Whisk well. Add to the pot. Bring to a boil. Add the oregano, chili powder, cumin, sugar, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add the beans and tomatoes. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Serve chili topped, if desired, with cheese, red onions, and jalapenos.